We all know the phrase, “Ignorance of the law is no excuse.” That means that you are responsible for learning the laws in all of the places where you drive. But what happens if the law itself demonstrates a high degree of ignorance?
Over the years, lawmakers have been known to create driving laws that are curious, bizarre, or just downright crazy. So if you plan on taking a road trip this summer, here are the 33 weirdest driving laws still on the books in the United States:
33. You can’t drive in reverse in Glendale, Arizona.
32. You can’t make a U-turn in Richardson, Texas.
31. You are prohibited from driving through playgrounds in Dublin, Georgia.
30. You cannot drive on a sidewalk in Dunn, North Carolina.
29. You are breaking the law if you run out of gas in Youngstown, Ohio.
28. You are not permitted to pump your own gas in Oregon.
27. You cannot read a comic book while driving in Oklahoma.
26. You are allowed to drive the wrong-way down an Alabama one-way street – but only if you attach a lantern to the front of your vehicle.
25. You could be charged with a misdemeanor if you swear from your car in Rockville, Maryland.
24. You will be issued a Class A traffic violation if you use your car to “prove your physical endurance” on an Oregon highway.
23. You cannot honk the horn of another person’s vehicle in Universal City, Missouri.
22. You are not allowed to read a newspaper in your car if your car breaks down in the middle of the street in Detroit, Michigan.
21. You are banned from driving a car down Broadway in Galveston, Texas on Sundays before noon.
20. Also in Galveston, you may not drive within an arm’s length of alcohol. That includes alcohol in another person’s bloodstream.
19. You are breaking Oregon law if you leave your vehicle door open longer than authorities deem necessary.
18. You are forbidden from throwing your BB gun onto the highway in Mount Vernon, Iowa.
17. You cannot hunt from your vehicle in Connecticut, even if it is deer season.
16. You cannot fire a gun from your car at wild game in Tennessee – unless you are aiming at a whale.
15. You are banned from driving with ice picks attached to your vehicle’s wheels in Whitehall, Montana.
14. You are required to yield to peacocks in Arcadia, California.
13. You are prohibited from jumping out of a vehicle traveling 65 miles per hour in Glendale, California.
12. Also in California, unoccupied vehicles are breaking the law if they are traveling above 60 miles per hour.
11. Women in California are not permitted to drive while wearing a housecoat.
10. You may not fasten a dog to the roof of your car in Alaska.
9. You are banned from driving around the Oxford, Ohio town square more than 100 times in a row.
8. You are not allowed to spit from a moving car or bus in Marietta, Georgia – but you can do so from a moving truck.
7. You cannot take off your clothes in your car in Sag Harbor, New York.
6. You cannot change clothes while in your car with the curtains drawn in Evanston, Illinois – unless it is during a fire.
5. In Pennsylvania, you must pull to the side of the road when you see a team of horses approaching. Then you must cover your vehicle with a dust cover or blanket that has been sewn or painted to blend in with the scenery. (If despite your efforts, the horses react skittishly, then you are required to take your car apart and hide all of the parts in underbrush nearby.)
4. You are not allowed to transport dead poultry along Kansas Avenue in Topeka, Kansas.
3. You are not permitted to drive with a gorilla in the back of your vehicle in Massachusetts.
2. In Minnesota, you are banned from crossing state lines with a duck on your head.
1. You cannot drive any vehicle while blindfolded in Alabama.
There you go. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Image credits: thewildones.faketrix.com, examiner.com, dailymail.co.uk, childinjurylawyerblog.com, beliawanismca.org xcitefun.net/users/2009/07/100243,xcitefun-driving-crazy-5.jpg
[article sources: http://www.gcfl.org/archive.php?funny=4544, http://www.dmv.org/fun-stuff/bizarre-driving-laws.php#Missouri, http://www.masscops.com/f39/funny-traffic-laws-69836/, http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/driving-laws.html, http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/texas?page=20 ]
Tags: safe auto, safeauto, laws, driving
Hummer limo? Pfft! F-650 limo? Please. You think that's the weirdest limousines get? Well...OK, so did we. We thought a hot pink stretch Hummer was the most bizarre limo in existence. We were very, VERY wrong.
Your eyes do not deceive you: that is a stretch (well, to use the term loosely) Volkswagen Bug. If you look closely, it even has the license plate “LIMO BUG”, just to get the point across that these people chose what amounts to a station wagon to ride around in. (At least it’s a cute station wagon.)
We're not really sure what the story is behind this particular limo. We know it's a Mini Cooper, or, rather, two Minis seemingly welded together in some unholy union (look in the back: there's a steering wheel). But the flames? The stretch? The paintjob? Don't ask us. We don't know. We don't want to.
Why, yes, that is in fact a stretch Ferrari. What we like about this design is that it really does look like it's about to snap in half, possibly out of shame for being made to look so utterly ridiculous. Somewhere, Enzo is crying.
We guess this qualifies as a “limo”. It's long. It's got a lot of seats. It's ostentatious. It obviously isn't cheap.
On the other hand, is there a country in the world that will actually let you drive this beast on the road?
We can't mock this. This is brilliant. Somebody sat down and thought “what's the best way to announce that I absolutely mean business, need to get to where I'm going, and will brook no crap in my way?” And hit on this. Traffic is no longer an excuse: you can go over it!
The Jeep limo! Because, uh...well...we guess if you were in a place without a lot of roads, and wanted to get somewhere in style, your options are kind of limited. We'd really hate to see how this thing performs on a terrible back road, though. Also, if you hit a mud puddle...what happens?
When you absolutely, positively need to get somewhere on time, don't resort to this. The Anaconda or “Hawg Limo” seems like a terrible idea simply because motorcycles are designed to go fast, and this seems roughly as safe above speeds of five miles an hour as making a pass at Mike Tyson's sister.
Now this, on the other hand, is what the perpetually tardy desperately need. OK, so you'll show to the big meeting or the gala premiere or your own wedding with helmet hair and possibly some bugs in your teeth. On the other hand, you will be on time.
There isn’t anything capitalism can produce that Communist states can’t poorly imitate, and as proof, we offer this, the Trabant limousine. The Trabant was an East Germany car famous for being so bad the Yugo trembles in shame to be from the same area. We bet this limo lived up to Trabant's sterling reputation.
Finally, we have this, the infamous “Art Limo”. Supposedly worth $1,000,000 or so, at least according to the guy who tried to sell it. We're not sure of the Blue Book value, but we think that might be just a little high.
Tags: safe auto, safeauto, limos, top ten
Cars have been with us for over a hundred years. Paint has been with us for thousands of years. Bad ideas have been with us since the dawn of mankind. Put them all together and you get cars like this one.
What's really sad is that this paint job is intentional. It's something Ford put on test models to confuse digital cameras using long-range lenses. The microbe-esque things are supposed to scramble the image. Whatever happened to just hiding it under a sheet?
“Hmmm, I own a Rolls Royce. That announces I'm rich. But I really need something not only to tell people I'm rich, but that I'm ostentatiously rich, that I'm a real jerk about how much money I make. But what can I possibly do to communicate THAT?”
We've been staring at this photo for an hour and we just can't put together the thought process behind this paint job. We get the stripes on the exhaust vents, we guess, and the black background really makes the colors “pop”, but why did they want to make a Porsche look like it'd been attacked by a pack of Skittles? And what did the dealership have to say when this request came down the line?
This, at least, is just a vinyl wrap, so instead of spending hours painstakingly making this poor car look like your grandmother's nice “parlor furniture” with paint, they instead carefully designed and applied a vinyl decal to make it look like a granny sofa. Sure, the end result is still an eyesore, but at least they didn't spend months on this eyesore. Just weeks.
We've heard of flames applied to a car, of course, but this was done for somebody with way too much money by somebody who was a little hazy on the concept of “flames on a car.” “I want flames! Big flames! Lots of flames! I want to look like a fireball rolling down the freeway.” Of course, with the Viper's front grill, it looks more like a wrinkled old man, but live and learn.
Wow. Just...wow. You really want to put your name on this, Autostrada? Really? This is your ringing endorsement of your business? A car that looks like those cheesy glass globes people who call themselves “crafty” and sad dorks pretending to be wizards buy on sale at Michael's? To be fair, they're just a car dealership, so we guess they can only sell the cars people bring in, but still.
So, you got a car, added a spoiler, and cut it until it was as low to the ground as possible, thus making it as aerodynamic as possible. Then you spent thousands of dollars ruining that by making your car look like it was the offspring of a Civic and a tree. We're just curious as to whether or not your family committed you after seeing the car, or if they decided based on some of your other behavior.
You wanted a car that would proclaim to the world “I am a huge nerd!” So instead of buying something ugly, foreign and absurdly functional, like some obscure brand of hybrid, or a license plate like EIZMC2, you painted dozens of 5” floppy disks on your car. Did you get the idea on your own, or did Mr. Tree-Car help?
You know, there's very little that's impressive in snakeskin unless it's a snake that you killed in a desperate battle to survive when it was trying to eat you. Then that's a trophy and a memorial to a fallen worthy foe. Seriously, why are there actual snakes on this? This is the natural habitat of a woman in a bikini and blazer combo with five-inch high heels and Farrah hair. If you park this anywhere, that's what you come back to writhing on the hood...oh. OK, that makes a lot more sense.
No. No, no, no, no. You do not put dragons or any other mythical creature on anything other than a van. It must be airbrushed onto a van. Those are the rules. Anything else is an abomination before the car gods.
Also, whoever customized this obviously was looking for +1 Avoidance of Women, because he actually changed the lettering on the front to “Dragon”. And it's crooked. We will lay down money there's a vanity plate, probably something like PALADIN or DRGNSLYR, and there is only speed metal in the pile of CDs shoved into the glovebox.
Tags: safe auto, safeauto, ugly, cars
Original material is licensed under a Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution.
Powered by BlogEngine.NET 126.96.36.199 Filter by APML
There are many bad drivers out there on the road. Play It Safe with helpful tips, articles, videos, and of course, examples of what not to do. Brought to you by SafeAuto Insurance Company.