Requirements for Acquiring Auto Insurance
The minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required to satisfy Kansas' Financial Responsibility law is 25,000/50,000/10,000. This means that your insurance policy must insure you against loss in an accident where you have been determined to be at-fault for a minimum of:
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
- Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the twenty-five thousand dollars($25,000) per person limit
- Ten thousand dollars ($10,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
- Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months, or both such fine and confinement. [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- Any person convicted of violating any provision of this section within three years of any such prior conviction shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $800 nor more than $2,500. K.S.A. 40-3104 [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- In addition, may be subject to license suspension or revocation of vehicle registration [K.S.A. 40-3104(h)]
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22):
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Division of Motor Vehicles providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Failure to provide proof of insurance during a traffic stop, unless proof of insurance is provided to the department within the time prescribed by KSA 40-3118(e).
- Conviction of any violation listed under the Habitual Violator Statute (KSA 8-285).
- Any license suspension resulting from noncompliance with the requirements to maintain evidence of insurance.
- For failing to provide evidence of financial security as a result of an automobile accident as required
SafeAuto will only issue a Kansas SR-22 to Kansas residents.
Kansas Division of Motor Vehicles
If you have any further auto insurance questions please visit the FAQ page
or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department