Requirements for Acquiring Auto Insurance
SafeAuto wants to help you get the lowest possible auto insurance rates. Being familiar with your state's financial responsibility requirements is an easy way to start. Here is the most recent information for Kentucky:
The minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required to satisfy the Kentucky Financial Responsibility law is 25,000/50,000/10,000. This means that your insurance policy must insure you against loss in an accident where you have been determined to be at-fault for a minimum of:
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
- Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the twenty-five thousand dollar ($25,000) per person limit
- Ten thousand dollars ($10,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
Under Kentucky law, you must produce documentary proof of Financial Responsibility in the following circumstances:
- At the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop
- When registering a vehicle
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Kentucky also requires insurers to electronically report all of their active policies on a monthly basis.
Penalty for failure to comply with Kentucky's Financial Responsibility requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the loss of your vehicle plates and suspension of your driver's license. If a law enforcement officer stops you, you may face a fine of $500-$1000, be sentenced to ninety (90) days in jail, or both.