Requirements for Acquiring Auto Insurance
SafeAuto wants to help you get the lowest possible auto insurance rates. Being familiar with your state's financial responsibility requirements is an easy way to start. Here is the most recent information for Louisiana:
The minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required to satisfy Louisiana's Financial Responsibility law is 15,000/30,000/25,000. This means that your insurance policy must insure you against loss in an accident where you have been determined to be at-fault for a minimum of:
- Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
- Thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the fifteen thousand dollar ($15,000) per person limit
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
Under Louisiana law, you are required to show documentary proof of Financial Responsibility in the following circumstances:
- At the request of a law enforcement officer
- When registering or renewing the registration for a vehicle
- When obtaining or renewing your driver's license
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Louisiana requires insurance companies to report to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of Motor Vehicles whenever liability insurance on a vehicle is issued, procured, recalled, reinstated, terminated, canceled, or changed from binder status to an active policy.
Penalty for failure to comply with Louisiana's Financial Responsibility requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the loss of your plates and vehicle impoundment.
If there is a lapse in your insurance coverage for more than ten (10) days you may be required to pay the following fees to reinstate your license:
- 1 - 10 days uninsured - NONE
- 11 - 30 days uninsured - $50.00
- 31 - 90 days uninsured - $125.00
- 91 days or more uninsured - $225.00
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22):
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the state providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Failure to submit to chemical test
If you are required to maintain a certificate of Financial Responsibility, your insurance company is required to provide the state with at least ten (10) days advance notice before termination. SafeAuto will only issue a Louisiana SR-22 to Louisiana residents.
Other helpful things to know about Louisiana's Financial Responsibility laws:
Statement of Non-Use:
You can file a Statement of Non-Use if you are going to cancel the liability insurance on a vehicle that you own and will not be using on any roads or highways. Your vehicle record will immediately be updated to indicate that the vehicle will not be used from the "beginning date" through the "ending date" that you enter. For the purposes of canceling the liability insurance on this vehicle this statement must be submitted to the Office of Motor Vehicles prior to or within ten (10) days following the termination date of the liability insurance policy. If not, this statement cannot be used as compliance for the cancellation of liability insurance.
In the alternative, you may also surrender your plates to the office of motor vehicles in person or by mail to avoid penalties and reinstatement fees for vehicles that are not in use.