Requirements for Acquiring Auto Insurance
SafeAuto wants to help you get the lowest possible auto insurance rates. Being familiar with your state's financial responsibility requirements is an easy way to start. Here is the most recent information for Texas:
The minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required to satisfy the Texas Financial Responsibility law is 30,000/60,000/25,000. This means that your insurance policy must insure you against loss in an accident where you have been determined to be at-fault for a minimum of:
- Thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
- Sixty thousand dollars ($60,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the thirty thousand dollar ($30,000) per person limit
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
Under Texas law, you are required to provide documentary proof of Financial Responsibility in the following circumstances:
- At the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop
- When registering a vehicle
- Upon issuance of a driver's license
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Texas requires insurance companies to provide a weekly report to the TexasSure vehicle identification system, listing the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of each vehicle insured under an active policy.
Penalty for failure to comply with Texas Financial Responsibility requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your driver's license and fines. Under the Texas Driver Responsibility Program, drivers who are convicted of failure to maintain insurance are required to pay a flat surcharge of $250.00 per year. This surcharge is in addition to any other costs associated with the driving offenses and must be paid yearly for three (3) years. You may also be required to file an SR-22 or SR-22A.
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22 or SR-22A):
An SR-22 or SR-22A is a certificate of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. Drivers who are convicted of one or more of the following offenses may be required to purchase an SR-22 or SR-22A to reinstate their license:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Drug offense
- Driving while license suspended/invalid
- 2nd or subsequent ticket for no liability insurance
If you are required to maintain a certificate of Financial Responsibility, your insurance company must provide the DPS with at least six (6) days advance notice before termination. SafeAuto will only issue a Texas SR-22 or SR-22A to Texas residents.