WHAT IS HIGH RISK CAR INSURANCE?
High risk insurance is auto insurance coverage for drivers with poor driving records, little driving history, or vehicles considered more likely to be involved in accidents by insurance providers. When a driver is deemed high risk by auto insurance companies, they need high risk car insurance.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU'RE CONSIDERED A HIGH RISK DRIVER?
Driving and claims records are the primary factors that auto insurance companies use to determine a driver's risk level.
You might be considered high risk if you have the following on your record:
- DUI/DWI infractions
- Multiple speeding tickets
- At-fault accidents
- Reckless driving infractions
Insurance companies also consider the following when determining your risk level:
- Credit score
- Insurance history
- Vehicle use
- Vehicle type
HOW CAN YOU LOWER THE COST OF YOUR HIGH RISK INSURANCE?
If you have been deemed a high risk driver, there are a few things you can do to help lower your risk classification with auto insurance companies.
- Take a defensive driving course. You can check with a SafeAuto agent for approved courses.
- Wait for your violations to expire. If you reach three years without a ticket, it may result in a decrease in your premium amount.
- Improve your credit score. In time, a significant positive change in your credit score may result in a decrease in your premium amount.