To implement the requirements of Company Bulletin 2017-03 issued by the Illinois Department of Insurance, Safe Auto Insurance Company is taking the following actions in the following counties declared disaster areas after severe flooding: Cook, Kane, Lake, and McHenry counties
- Moratorium on cancellations and non-renewals: For policyholders or property affected, Safe Auto will withdraw any cancellation or nonrenewal notice issued on or after July 12, 2017, on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder and/or property. In addition, we will not issue any new cancellation or nonrenewal notices to affected policyholders and/or property until September 30, 2017, or a later time if deemed reasonable given an individual consumer’s circumstance.
- Other insurance-related time-period extensions: Safe Auto will grant affected policyholders an extension of any and all policy provisions or other requirements that impose a time limit for an insured or claimant to perform any act, including the submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bills, or payment of funds. Such extension shall be for a minimum of 60 days from the last date allowed or required under the terms of the contract or allowed or required by Safe Auto, or longer if deemed reasonable given an individual consumer’s circumstance.
- Time-period extension for repair: In the event repairs on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy, or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property [215 ILCS 5/143.27], Safe Auto will provide consumers with an extension of not less than 60 days to make such repairs.
- Cancellation or nonrenewal respecting affected property: Although otherwise allowed under Illinois law, Safe Auto will refrain from canceling or nonrenewing insurance policies respecting affected property due to “increase in the risk originally accepted” [215 ILCS 5/143.21 and 143.21.1] or due to the geographic location of the risk [215 ILCS 5/155.22].
- Other exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules Safe Auto will consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements, or to other rating or underwriting rules not otherwise listed herein, when such contractual requirements or rating or underwriting rules are not met as a result of this disaster. Exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules include instances where an insured is displaced from his or her home and is unable to obtain non-emergency medical services from a network provider.
Please be advised that you can refer any disaster related dispute or issue to the Illinois Department of Insurance by calling the Department’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364, or submitting your report online at: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf
Download Illinois Severe Flooding Moratorium July 2017