If your home is in Sacramento, San Diego or anywhere in between, SafeAuto wants to help you find the lowest rates on auto insurance. We currently do not offer online quoting for CA at this time; however, we can assist you with a quote over the phone. Call 1-800-723-3288 to speak directly with an agent who is available to assist you 24/7! 

If you wish to continue shopping online, you can get a quote by clicking on one of our partners below:

Required Coverages

California’s Financial Responsibility law requires you to maintain liability limits of at least: 

  • $15,000 for bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
  • $30,000 for bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the $15,000 per person limit
  • $5,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
Such coverage is often written as 15/30/5 or 15,000/30,000/5,000

Liability insurance compensates a person other than the policy holder for personal injury or property damage. Comprehensive or collision coverages do not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements, but may be required by your lender or lessor if you are financing or leasing a vehicle. 

Proof Of Financial Responsibility & Penalties

Under California law, you are required to provide documentary proof of Financial Responsibility when registering your vehicle or at the request of law enforcement officials.

Insurance companies in California are legally required to electronically report private passenger automobile insurance information to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This reporting allows the DMV to monitor insurance coverage and take appropriate action, including suspension of registration or driving privileges, if required coverage is not maintained. You may be requested to submit additional insurance information to DMV, such as: 

  • A document or identification card from your insurance company
  • A DMV authorization letter, if you are a cash depositor or are self-insured
  • California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR-22) form for broad coverage or owner's policy
  • Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in California Government Code §811.2

Related Links:
California Department of Motor Vehicles

If you have any further auto insurance questions please visit the FAQ page or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department at CSD@safeauto.com.