Delaware Auto Insurance

If your home is in Dover, Wilmington or anywhere in between, SafeAuto wants to help you find the cheapest auto insurance in your area. While SafeAuto does not currently offer direct coverage in Delaware, we can still help you get a cheap quote for the coverage you need.

Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG.

Required Coverages

Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage claims resulting from an accident that is primarily your fault. The limits in your policy are the maximum amounts your insurance company will pay for bodily injury and property damage claims. They are typically expressed as three amounts separated by slashes written as 15/30/15 or 15,000/30,000/15,000

Delware's Financial Responsibility law requires you to maintain liability limits of at least:

The first number is the maximum amount that your policy will pay for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident.

The maximum amount that your policy will pay for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, subject to the $15,000 per person limit.

The maximum amount that your policy will pay for damage to or destruction of property of others in an accident.

Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties

Under Delaware law, you are required to provide documentary proof of financial responsibility when registering your vehicle or at the request of law enforcement officials.

Car insurance companies are required to notify the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles whenever coverage terminates within the first six (6) months. The DMV randomly selects vehicle owners to provide proof of insurance, and failure to provide proof can result in immediate suspension of your vehicle registration and payment of a penalty.

If you are unable to produce proof of liability coverage when requested on the road, the penalties can be even harsher, with fines ranging from $1,500 to $4,000, and a license suspension of six months.

In addition to statutory penalties, if you cannot show proof of financial responsibility, fail to pay a judgment entered against you for damages resulting from an automobile accident, or need to reinstate your license after conviction for certain types of violations, you will be required to obtain an SR-22 Certificate of Financial Responsibility

Related Links:

Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles


If you have any further auto insurance questions please visit the FAQ page or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department at