Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
Under Illinois law, you are required to provide documentation of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop.
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Illinois also conducts a random questionnaire sampling. If your vehicle is randomly selected, you will receive a questionnaire asking for the name of your insurance company and policy number. Your answers will be verified with the company you identify. If you do not have insurance or fail to return the questionnaire with the requested information, your license plates will be suspended.
In addition to the random sampling, Illinois is authorized to target for verification persons:
- Whose registrations were suspended for no insurance during the preceding four (4) years
- Whose registrations were suspended for operation of an uninsured motor vehicle or displaying a false insurance card during the preceding four (4) years
- Whose driving privileges have been suspended during the preceding four (4) years
Penalty for Failure to Comply with Illinois Financial Responsibility Requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your license plate registration and the following fines:
- Minimum $500 fine for driving uninsured
- Minimum $1,000 fine for driving a vehicle while the license plates are suspended for a previous insurance violation
If you are randomly selected to provide proof of insurance and you fail to do so:
- First Offense: $100 reinstatement fee when current evidence of insurance is provided
- Repeat Offenders: Required to serve a four (4) month suspension period, pay the $100 reinstatement fee and provide current evidence of insurance before being eligible for reinstatement
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22):
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Illinois Secretary of State providing proof that you have purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- You receive an unsatisfied court judgment relating to a crash
- You are suspended under the Safety Responsibility Law due to an uninsured crash
- You receive court supervision for a mandatory insurance violation
- You have been convicted of three (3) or more mandatory insurance violations
Looking for cheap auto insurance in Illinois?
You can get a free car insurance quote online or by calling a dedicated SafeAuto customer service representative at 1-800-SAFEAUTO. Customer service is available 24/7 to assist you with your quote or answer any insurance questions you may have.
SafeAuto offers affordable Illinois car insurance throughout the entire Prairie state! If you are looking for more car insurance information in a specific city across the state of Illinois, more material can be found below.
Related Illinois Insurance Requirement Information:
Illinois Department of Insurance
Illinois Drivers Services Department
SafeAuto loves to save you money on your car insurance. That’s why SafeAuto is the Insurance for the Rest of Us. We’d be happy to have you be a part of the SafeAuto family while you’re enjoying the road ahead!
If you have any further car insurance questions please visit our FAQ page
or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department