Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
What is the penalty for Failure to Comply with Kansas' Financial Responsibility Requirements?
Failure to produce evidence of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer investigating an accident or during a traffic stop can result in monetary penalties as follows:
- Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months, or both such fine and confinement. [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- Any person convicted of violating any provision of this section within three years of any such prior conviction shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $800 nor more than $2,500. K.S.A. 40-3104 [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- In addition, may be subject to license suspension or revocation of vehicle registration [K.S.A. 40-3104(h)]
What is a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22)?
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Division of Motor Vehicles providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Failure to provide proof of insurance during a traffic stop, unless proof of insurance is provided to the department within the time prescribed by KSA 40-3118(e)
- Conviction of any violation listed under the Habitual Violator Statute (KSA 8-285)
- Any license suspension resulting from noncompliance with the requirements to maintain evidence of insurance
- Failure to provide evidence of financial security as a result of an automobile accident as required
SafeAuto will only issue a Kansas SR-22 to Kansas residents.
Looking For Kansas Car Insurance?