Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
What is the penalty for Failure to Comply with Kansas' Financial Responsibility Requirements?
Failure to produce evidence of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer investigating an accident or during a traffic stop can result in monetary penalties as follows:
- Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months, or both such fine and confinement. [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- Any person convicted of violating any provision of this section within three years of any such prior conviction shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $800 nor more than $2,500. K.S.A. 40-3104 [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- In addition, may be subject to license suspension or revocation of vehicle registration [K.S.A. 40-3104(h)]
What is a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22)?
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Division of Motor Vehicles providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Failure to provide proof of insurance during a traffic stop, unless proof of insurance is provided to the department within the time prescribed by KSA 40-3118(e)
- Conviction of any violation listed under the Habitual Violator Statute (KSA 8-285)
- Any license suspension resulting from noncompliance with the requirements to maintain evidence of insurance
- Failure to provide evidence of financial security as a result of an automobile accident as required
SafeAuto will only issue a Kansas SR-22 to Kansas residents.
Looking For Kansas Car Insurance?
SafeAuto offers affordable Kansas auto insurance throughout the entire Wheat state! If you are looking for more information across the state of Kansas, more material can be found below.
Related Kansas Insurance Requirement Information:
Kansas Division of Motor Vehicles
SafeAuto loves to save you money on your car insurance. That’s why SafeAuto is the Insurance for the Rest of Us. We’d be happy to have you be a part of the SafeAuto family while you’re enjoying the road ahead!
If you have any further car insurance questions, please visit our FAQ page
or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department