Topeka, KS Auto Insurance
Weekend road trips to Lake Shawnee are the highlight of summer. There’s nothing quite like driving through the Sunflower state toward promise of sunshine and cool water – just make sure you’re covered on the way.
When it comes to cheap auto insurance in Topeka, Kansas state minimum insurance with SafeAuto is an affordable, legal option. SafeAuto helps you save money on your insurance so you can save money for the things that really matter to you.
Spend less on car insurance
Splurge on new boots
Play It Safe With SafeAuto Insurance
REQUIRED COVERAGES IN KANSAS
Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage claims resulting from an accident that is primarily your fault. The limits in your policy are the maximum amounts your insurance company will pay for bodily injury and property damage claims. *They are typically expressed as three amounts separated by slashes written as 25/50/25 or 25,000/50,000/25,000*
Kansas’ Financial Responsibility law requires you to maintain liability limits of at least:
$25,000 | Bodily Injury per Person
The first number is the maximum amount that your policy will pay for bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident.
$50,000 | Bodily Injury per Accident
The maximum amount that your policy will pay for bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the $25,000 per person limit.
$25,000 | Property Damage
The maximum amount that your policy will pay for injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident.
PROOF OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY & PENALTIES
WHAT IS THE PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH KANSAS' FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
Failure to produce evidence of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer investigating an accident or during a traffic stop can result in monetary penalties as follows:
- Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months, or both such fine and confinement. [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- Any person convicted of violating any provision of this section within three years of any such prior conviction shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $800 nor more than $2,500. K.S.A. 40-3104 [K.S.A. 40-3104(g)(1)]
- In addition, may be subject to license suspension or revocation of vehicle registration [K.S.A. 40-3104(h)]
Penalty for Failure to Comply with Kansas' Financial Responsibility Requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your driver's license for at least ninety (90) days - one (1) year for repeat violators within a three (3) year period. To obtain a reinstatement of your license, you may have to pay a reinstatement fee of $150, $225, or $300 depending on whether it is a first, second, third or subsequent offense, and provide current proof of insurance signed by an agent or representative of the insurance company.
What is a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22)?:
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Division of Motor Vehicles providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Failure to provide proof of insurance during a traffic stop, unless proof of insurance is provided to the department within the time prescribed by KSA 40-3118(e)
- Conviction of any violation listed under the Habitual Violator Statute (KSA 8-285)
- Any license suspension resulting from noncompliance with the requirements to maintain evidence of insurance
- Failure to provide evidence of financial security as a result of an automobile accident as required
SafeAuto will only issue a Kansas SR-22 to Kansas residents.
Kansas Regional Auto Insurance
Get a free car insurance quote with SafeAuto in 3 minutes or less online or call 1-800-SAFEAUTO to chat with a specialist. If you need SR-22 insurance to demonstrate financial responsibility compliance, have questions about the penalties for non-compliance, or would like more information about auto insurance in Topeka and Kansas as a whole, please visit the Kansas Auto Insurance Page.
SafeAuto offers affordable Kansas auto insurance throughout the entire state! If you are looking for more information across the state of Kansas, more material can be found below
- Kansas City, KS Auto Insurance
- Olathe, KS Auto Insurance
- Overland Park, KS Auto Insurance
- Wichita, KS Auto Insurance
RELATED LINKSKansas Division of Vehicles
Play It Safe with SafeAuto Insurance
Have a question for us at SafeAuto? Need to start a policy? Just want to talk? Call us at 1-800-SAFEAUTO or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For common questions, please consult our FAQ page.