Whether you're looking to start new coverage or switch to SafeAuto, you'll want to make sure you have the minimum car insurance coverage that Missouri law requires. SafeAuto can help you get cheap car insurance rates that meet Missouri's state minimum requirements. Get a free car insurance quote online today!
Missouri's Financial Responsibility law requires you to maintain liability limits of at least:
Proof Of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
Under Missouri law, you are required to provide documentary proof of Financial Responsibility in the following circumstances:
- At the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop
- When registering a vehicle or renewing plates
- When requested by the Missouri Department of Revenue
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Missouri requires insurance companies to provide a monthly report of all active insurance policies to the Missouri Department of Revenue, Drivers License Bureau.
Penalty for Failure to Comply with Missouri's Financial Responsibility Requirements:
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your license and vehicle registration. You may also be assessed four (4) points for any conviction for failure to maintain Financial Responsibility. It only takes a total of eight (8) points within an 18-month period to lose your driving privileges in Missouri.
If your driving privileges and/or license plates are suspended for not having insurance, the following suspension periods may apply:
- 1st suspension: 0 days
- 2nd suspension in two years: 90 days
- 3rd and subsequent suspension: 1 year
After the period of suspension, your driver's license and/or license plates can be reinstated if the Driver License Bureau receives the following:
- 1st suspension: Proof of insurance and $20 reinstatement fee
- 2nd suspension: Proof of insurance and $200 reinstatement fee
- 3rd and subsequent suspension: Proof of insurance and $400 reinstatement fee
If you drive while your license is suspended for failure to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, you may be subject to a fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500) or imprisoned not exceeding six (6) months, or both.
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22):
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Driver License Bureau providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Loss of license due to excessive points (more than 8)
- Loss of license due to Motor Vehicle Accident Judgment
- Loss of license due to driving with a blood alcohol of .08% or more, or if under age 21 driving with a blood alcohol of .02% or more
- Loss of license due to failure to maintain insurance
If you are required to maintain a certificate of Financial Responsibility, your insurance company is required to provide the state with at least 10 days advance notice before termination.
SafeAuto will only issue a Missouri SR-22 to Missouri residents.
Looking For Missouri Auto Insurance?
You can get a free car insurance quote online or by calling a dedicated SafeAuto customer service representative at 1-800-SAFEAUTO. Customer service is available 24/7 to assist you with your quote or answer any insurance questions you may have.
Missouri Division of Motor Vehicle & Drivers Licenses
If you have any further auto insurance questions please visit the FAQ page
or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department