New Hampshire Car Insurance Requirements for Drivers

While SafeAuto® does not currently offer coverage in New Hampshire, we can help you find the New Hampshire Car Insurance coverage you desire. 

If your home is in Nashua, Berlin or anywhere in between, SafeAuto® wants to help you find auto coverage that can meet your needs.   A good starting point is understanding the minimum requirements for liability insurance in New Hampshire:

New Hampshire’s Financial Responsibility law requires you to maintain liability limits of at least

  • $25,000 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident
  • $50,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, subject to the $25,000 per person limit
  • $25,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident

Such coverage is often written as 25/50/25 or 25,000/50,000/25,000


Under New Hampshire law, you are not required to carry automobile insurance, but you must be able to demonstrate that you are able to provide sufficient funds to meet New Hampshire’s Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Requirements in the event your actions cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle, otherwise known as an “at-fault” accident.

If you have been involved in an “at- fault accident,” received a citation for driving while intoxicated, or vehicular homicide or assault, or have had two or more convictions for driving recklessly or at excessive speed, and are unable to provide sufficient funds to meet New Hampshire’s minimum requirements, your driving privileges and vehicle registration may be suspended, and you may be required to surrender your vehicle’s license plates. 

In addition to statutory penalties, if you cannot show proof of financial responsibility, fail to pay a judgment entered against you for damages resulting from an automobile accident, or need to reinstate your license after conviction for certain types of violations, you will be required to obtain an SR-22 Certificate of Financial Responsibility.

So, while SafeAuto® does not currently offer auto insurance coverage in the Granite State, we can help you find the New Hampshire auto insurance coverage you need.