Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
Under Pennsylvania law, you are required to provide documentary proof of Financial Responsibility in the following circumstances:
- At the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop
- When registering a vehicle
- When your vehicle is inspected
To ensure drivers continue to meet the Financial Responsibility requirements, Pennsylvania requires insurance companies to notify the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) of all policy issues, cancellations and terminations. If your insurance company sends PennDOT a notice that your policy is no longer active, PennDOT may send you an inquiry requesting new insurance information.
Penalty for Failure to Comply with Pennsylvania's Financial Responsibility:
If your motor vehicle is not insured with liability insurance, you could face the following penalties and fines:
- A minimum of $300 fine for driving uninsured
- A three (3) month suspension of your vehicle registration
- A three (3) month suspension of your driver's license
- $50 restoration fee to reinstate your vehicle registration
- $50 restoration fee to reinstate your driver's license
- A vehicle may not be driven by anyone while the registration is suspended
A suspension may be avoided by the return of the registration plate, sticker and card to PennDOT at the time the insurance policy is canceled or Financial Responsibility lapses. Registration Plates, stickers and cards must be received by the Department no more than thirty (30) days after insurance was canceled. Registration plates, stickers and cards received by the Department after thirty (30) days will result in a three (3) month registration suspension.
Looking For Pennsylvania Car Insurance?
You can get a free car insurance quote online or by calling a dedicated SafeAuto customer service representative at 1-800-SAFEAUTO. Customer service is available 24/7 to assist you with your quote or answer any insurance questions you may have.
We offer affordable car insurance throughout the entire Keystone State! If you are looking for information about car insurance in a specific Pennsylvania city, more helpful material can be found below:
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
If you have any further auto insurance questions please visit the FAQ page or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department at CSD@safeauto.com.