Proof of Financial Responsibility & Penalties
Under Virginia law, you are required to provide documentation of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer at the time of an accident or traffic stop.
Penalty for Failure to Comply with Virginia's Financial Responsibility Requirements:
Every person applying for registration of a motor vehicle and declaring it to be an insured vehicle, faces stiff penalties if the motor vehicle is subsequently found to be uninsured. The Virginia DMV may suspend the driver's license and registration certificates and license plates issued to the owner of the motor vehicle. These items are suspended until the person pays a $500 statutory fee, furnishes and maintains proof of financial responsibility (form SR-22) for three years and pays a reinstatement fee, if applicable [Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-706].
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22) or (FR-44):
An SR-22 or an FR-44 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to have an SR-22:
- Unsatisfied judgments
- Driver's license suspension as a result of a conviction for:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle
- Perjury, making a false affidavit to the DMV regarding the registration of motor vehicles, or making a false statement on any driver's license application
- Any crime punishable as a felony under the motor vehicle law or any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used
- Failure of a driver of a motor vehicle, involved in an accident resulting in death or injury to another person, to stop and disclose his identity at the scene of the accident
- Operating or permitting the operation, for a second time, of a passenger automobile for transportation of passengers for rent or for hire, without a license
- Uninsured motor vehicle suspension
- Failure to provide proof of insurance associated with insurance monitoring
- Falsifying insurance certification
FR-44 certification is required for the following convictions:
- Maiming while under the influence
- Driving while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs
- Driving while the driver's license has been forfeited for a conviction, or finding of not innocent in the case of a juvenile
- Violation of the provisions of any federal law or law of any other state or any valid local ordinance similar to the above
SafeAuto will only issue a Virginia SR-22 or FR-44 to Virginia residents. An FR-44 is available only to existing policy holders, and – like the SR-22 – must be issued immediately upon request. If an FR-44 is issued, appropriate follow-up underwriting action will be taken, consistent with Virginia law.
Looking For Virginia Car Insurance?
SafeAuto offers affordable Virginia auto insurance throughout the entire Old Dominion state! If you are looking for more information across the state of Virginia, more material can be found below
Related Virginia Insurance Requirement Information:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
SafeAuto loves to save you money on your car insurance. That’s why SafeAuto is the Insurance for the Rest of Us. We’d be happy to have you be a part of the SafeAuto family while you’re enjoying the road ahead!
If you have any further car insurance questions please visit our FAQ page or contact the SafeAuto Customer Service Department at Customerservice@safeauto.com.